By Anna Fowles, Executive Vice President
So, you’re exploring the world of direct response and you’ve been assigned the task of managing a new DRTV campaign for your company. Not sure where to start?
These top 10 DRTV production tips will guarantee you safe passage as you begin your production journey.
- Build a team with experience. Direct response television is unique. With that in mind, you should partner with an agency that has strong expertise in this field. Take time to investigate your options so that you find the right strategic partner with a proven DRTV track record. A strong agency partner will be your North Star as you travel forward.
- Know where you’ve been. It’s important for you to provide your new agency with information on your past journeys. What you’ve done in past marketing efforts, including print, television, digital, radio etc.; what messaging was used and offer(s) tested; what worked and what didn’t. Learnings from past campaigns help your direct response agency better understand your product/service and your audience in order to develop a strong new DRTV campaign.
- Know where you’re going. What are your goals? Is it lead generation, acquisition, brand building, a push for retail integration or all of the above? DRTV is all about measurement. Having measurable goals, understanding them, and sharing these with your DR partner will ensure everyone is on the same page so that you’re moving in the same direction.
- Prepare your budget. Working with your agency, define scope and associated budget early on in the process. Campaigns can be developed in a number of different ways. Having a defined scope at the outset helps guide the project down a certain path so that there are no surprises later on.
- Create a timeline. While you are responsible for managing your internal timeline and deliverables, ask your agency partner to provide you with a detailed production timeline. A good partner will help you manage this timeline along the way.
- Take the time for creative development and scripting. The creative and script is the blueprint for building a strong DRTV commercial; the vessel that launches your DRTV campaign. This is where the magic (and art) of the science and the sell gets formulated to create a successful DRTV spot. Take the time to do it right. Don’t sacrifice quality for quickness.
- Start media planning early. The creative and the media are the dynamic duo. Both have to be part of the strategy in the early stages and throughout the journey, working in conjunction to provide an overall successful campaign.
- Integrate digital. Digital integration is also an important component of a DRTV campaign and should be part of the overall DR strategy. With designated landing pages, search, analytics, tracking and testing available, you will increase your response rates across the board in all offline and online drivers.
- Communicate. Stay on course by ensuring you have regular and open communication with your partner. Ask your agency to schedule a weekly update call or meeting that allows everyone to touch base and stay on track. If you run into obstacles, deal with them head on and ensure that everyone is in the loop.
- Ask questions. If you don’t understand something or need clarification, don’t be afraid to ask at any stage of production. Especially if the world of DRTV is new to you, you want to ensure you understand the process and your DRTV partners should always be happy to answer any questions along the way.
With the production tips above, you should now be able to navigate the world of DRTV so that it’s smooth sailing ahead!